“LET FOOD BE THY MEDICINE AND MEDICINE BE THY FOOD”
~ Hippocrates (460-375 B.C.)
Food is no doubt a crucial part of human survival and sense of well-being. But, what some of us may not know is that our everyday foods choices have a profound impact in our general well-being. Healthy diet is a mainstream to living a healthy lifestyle.
A growing number of studies have reported that eating healthy influences ones social, emotional as well as physical health. It’s a cornerstone to physical fitness in individuals. So, if you want to live that healthy life you’ve always dreamed about, you should start to eat the healthier way. So, HOW DOES OUR FOOD CHOICES AFFECT OUR PHYSICAL HEALTH OR FITNESS?
Healthy Diets and Well-Being
Just as it’s important to make every mouthful of your dishes as nutritious and taste buds tantalizing as possible, it’s also a crucial that you go for healthy diets that can help promote positive health. Just like machines require proper maintenance for them to work at their best, so, it is with your body system, it needs to be cared for and the kind of diets you eat and drink have a huge role on how you live. Therefore, for optimal physical fitness, the body needs the right proportion of essential nutrients such as proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fibre, vitamins, minerals and water.
A growing number of research have shown that whole plant based diets are very essential in reducing disease risks as well as promoting one’s health and are hallmarks to living a more positive lifestyle compared to non-plant based diets which have been reported to increase the risk of developing common health problems such as heart diseases, cancers, renal and liver problems, diabetes and mental disorders etc.
Foods That Promote Healthy Living
Examples of plant based diets that are known to promote health are whole foods or traditional Mediterranean diets, these include:
- Fruits and vegetables: fruits and vegetables are plant based foods with excellent sources of minerals, vitamins, flavoniods, carotenoids, and other health promoting photochemicals. Phytochemicals are known for their antioxidant potencies with immune boosting and anticancer properties.
- Wholegrain foods such as cereals, legumes, nuts, seeds.
- Vegetable oil: great source of Omega-3 fatty acids and other health promoting polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Changing your daily dietary choices to more nutritious and health-promoting diets may appear challenging, but, adopting this dietary pattern would help keep your fit physically and emotionally.
Few Hints About Eating Healthy and Maintaining Healthy Fitness
Remember, eating healthy is not just for those already suffering from one ailment or the other. Healthy foods benefit everyone. So, to remain healthy or attain a sustainable health status, you should keep these few points in mind:
- You’re recommended to increase your daily fruits and vegetables intake. Fruits and vegetables are excellent source of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
- If you must take fats, let it be from healthy sources like oily fish such as mackerel, tuna, salmon, herring, sardines.
- Only consume protein from healthy sources such as from fish, lean meats (consume moderately), limit the intake of processed red meat, egg and poultry.
- Whole food or traditional Mediterranean diets such as cereals, nuts, legumes, and peas are recommended.
- Reduce your sugar and beverages daily consumption especially from refined and processed diets.
- Adequate physical activities.
- Drink enough water.
- Limit alcohol intake, alcohol can make you dehydrated and may negatively affect your mental functioning.
- Take to your doctor prior to making any dietary change.
- Remember that ‘moderation is the key’
The information in this piece is solely for information purposes, and not to be followed without seeking your doctor’s advice. So, you’re recommended to consult your medical practitioner prior to making any crucial dietary changes, especially when you are being placed under medications or are having any medical condition.